3 STEPS TO START MANAGING YOUR ANXIETY
Article by Marialuz Jimenez
Philosophy of People
Magazine: Issue #18
Anxiety it’s our natural body response to help us deal with dangerous situations even if this danger is just perceived, like before having a test or a job interview. Everyone has experienced it at some point in their life.
It’s important to know that anxiety will not last forever and even though it’s not dangerous, it can become a problem. Unmanaged, your body will react as if you were in danger all the time causing your system to be overworked, and at some point (as it happened to me) this will be the only way it knows how to work. You’ll be pumping up adrenaline constantly, living on edge and reacting to everything that happens leaving you exhausted.
3 steps to start transforming your anxiety:
1. Identify the cause of your anxiety: Sometimes it’s very clear what the root cause is and sometimes it’s very subtle, requiring further investigation. It’s important that you get to understand the cause so you can start identifying possible triggering situations and learn how to avoid or handle them.
2. Awareness: There are ways to recognize when you start feeling anxious, but if you’re living on autopilot it’s going to be difficult for you to notice the subtle changes experienced in your body like sweating, tight chest, nausea, rapid heart beating, shallow breathing, or heavy legs.It’s important to start practicing awareness throughout your day so you can get more in tune with your body. For instance, focusing on your breathing to connect to your body.
3. Take action to shift your energy: You can practice meditation, positive affirmations, physical exercise, or another therapy that you like to do to bring yourself back to balance.
Practice the following exercise once or twice a day to start building your practice:
- Set a timer for 10 minutes, sit comfortably with feet on the ground.
- Take 3 deep breaths. With each exhalation, focus on releasing any worry or pain you have.
- Keep breathing slowly and scan your body to identify what are you feeling. Start by focusing on your feet, your legs, and work your way up to your head.
- Once you have identified any discomfort, visualize a bright light surrounding you. While inhaling, bring that light where you feel the discomfort.
- As you exhale, visualize a gray light flowing from the area of discomfort and out of you.
- The Universe will take care of this energy
Philosophy of People is a compilation of self-improvement articles written by entrepreneurs seeking to bring holistic solutions to everyday problems. Read more articles from our 2nd Year Anniversary issue.
Marialuz Jimenez, whose Divine Soul Calling is to help people to heal from the inside out, is a Holistic Therapist, Energy Healer, Artist and & the founder of Lovely Healing. She helps women understand and transform their anxiety and depression by assisting them to reconnect themselves with their true self, reclaim their power and own their voice through energy work, Akashic Records and Angel Card readings. Find out more about her services at Lovely Healing.