Just because you are a grassroots company doesn't mean you have to look like one. With all the affordable applications available for marketing, branding and publicity, there is really no excuse for any small business to look like one.
Often times, we lie to ourselves, take shortcuts, misallocate funds, in efforts to make the most out of what we have. Taking shortcuts can be detrimental to your branding.
Here are examples of things killing your business image:
- Free business cards - the floppy texture is unappealing and screams novice
- Professional email - the world of free is appealing, but professional email addresses are so cheap, it's worth the investment.
- A phone line for business - you can easily get a free phone number to distinguish business from personal calls, so you don't answer like your mom or bestie is calling.
- No elevator pitch- articulate, and be courteous. Give enough for them to want more.
- Confidence - no one knows you just started your business.
- Professional Attire - Please dress accordingly - regardless of what of your industry. Just as much, an unkempt presence is as undesirable.
Don't know where to begin? Ask! Asking professionals that have already done it in your industry is a great way to get the creative juices flowing. They may approach things differently, but can be a resource to get you pointed in the right direction!
Research! As the business owner, it is imperative and your responsibility. Remember most new small business owners have more time than capital.
Read! The most important part of business is continual learning! Reading, listening to topics, watching documentaries.
Being in business is challenging and full of unforgettable experiences that will make or break you. As a grassroots business owner, you have so much freedom to test the waters and defining greatness for your company. Enjoy the ride!