PRETTY IN PINK:
BEET ROOT LATTE RECIPE
Article by Joanna Brown
Look at the color of this latte?!? It is so beautiful. The first time I ever saw a beet latte was from a vegan cafe in Australia called Matcha Mylkbar. I saw the pictures of this beautiful ruby red latte and was determined to figure out how to make one myself at home. The superfood drink is both sweet and earthy, and is the perfect way to support your beauty from the inside out.
Beets are not often classified as a superfood but they absolutely should be. Their gorgeous red-violet pigment comes from phytonutrients known as Betacyanins. Betalains are known to have powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory molecules. Beets are also heart healthy thanks to being rich in folate and vitamin B’s, which also support cellular metabolism. Beets are a good source of fiber and 1 cup of cooked beets has only 75 calories.
Beetroot powder is used to make a beet latte. Thinly sliced beets are dried in a dehydrator and ground into a powder for a convenient way of incorporating the benefits of beets into sauces, smoothies, or sweet treats. The great news is beet powder also can be bought at your local health food store. In selecting my powder, I ensure it is organic and nothing else is added so that it’s simply 100% dehydrated beets. This method as you can see is super easy and a great way to make a nutrient-dense, tasty latte at home.
5 Minutes Prep Time
- 1 tablespoon organic beet root powder
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup of boiling water
- ½ teaspoon of honey or maple syrup
- 1 cup of organic coconut or hemp milk
- 1 teaspoon of additional beet root powder (optional topping)
- Place beetroot powder and cinnamon in a cup. Pour boiling water over top and whisk until well dissolved.
- Warm 1 cup of milk and sweetener in a pot over low-medium heat for about 2 minutes. Stirring to ensure the milk does not burn. Remove from heat.
- Using a milk frother, froth the milk for about 1 minute. If you don’t have a milk frother that is fine.
- Pour the milk into the cup with the dissolved powder. Give it a quick mix with your frother or a spoon.
- Sprinkle additional beetroot powder or cinnamon on top and enjoy.