THE HEALING POWER OF ADAPTOGEN HERBS
Article by Tanna Lyon
Adaptogen Blend + Clarity. Are you looking for more mental clarity and alertness?
We continue with Part 4 today. Do you want more mental clarity and alertness? Every year I pick a word on something I want to focus on. “Clarity” is my chosen word for 2018. With a little meditation and help from adaptogens I am on the right path.
A simplistic blend of matcha helps brighten mood and energy levels. Matcha green tea powder is incredibly rich in antioxidants and is a rich source of L-Theanine, a chemical that enhances serotonin in the brain and contains 10 times the antioxidants and nutritional content as regular brewed green tea. It’s rich in fiber, chlorophyll, and amino acids. It is said that matcha can calm your mind, boost energy and metabolism, and detoxify. Rhodiola is great for supporting mental clarity, memory, and attentiveness and pine pollen is great for the brain, libido, and androgen hormone balance.
This supercharged iced matcha latte has rhodiola, which helps oxygenate blood going to the brain, and pine pollen, which enhances whole body function. Perfect for a morning brew or afternoon pick me up.
- 1 teaspoon good quality matcha
- ¼ teaspoon rhodiola
- ½ teaspoon pine pollen
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- 2 ounces (¼ cup) boiling water
- 4 ounces (½ cup) cold water
- 4 ounces (½ cup) pumpkin seed milk
- Combine, rhodiola, matcha, pine pollen, and raw honey in a medium bowl.
- Add the boiling water, and use a matcha chasen to vigorously whisk the mixture until the herbs are frothed and the honey has dissolved.
- Add another 4 ounces of fresh pumpkin seed milk and 4 ounces of filtered water. Serve in a glass with ice
Adaptogen Blend + immunity. Are you feeling depleted?
We continue with Part 5 today. Do you want a strong immune system to help fight off the cold and flu season? Our immune system is the Holy Grail of health, and especially during the colder season, when most people suffer from colds and flu, it is important to strengthen our immune system. So apart from enough sleep, an all-round healthy diet, it also helps to add more warming and immune boosting ingredients to our daily rituals
Here is a recipe to help with your immune system.
*Remember to review Part 1 to get more blending ideas for your recipes.
This supercharged latte is not only fully packed with adaptogens but also beetroot and coconut oil. Beetroot is a good source of iron and folate (naturally occurring folic acid). It also contains nitrates, betaine, magnesium and other antioxidants (notably betacyanin. A perfect brew for the morning or evening that help support immunity, the nervous system, and healthy circulation.
- ½ teaspoon reishi
- ½ teaspoon mucuna pruriens
- ½ teaspoon astragalus
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoons coconut oil or butter
- 1 small fresh beetroot (you can just use powder or a mixture of both. I like to sprinkle it on top. It’s such a beautiful color). If using the powder use ½ teaspoon.
- 3cm piece of ginger.
- 1 teaspoon turmeric honey (add turmeric powder to your favorite raw honey).
- 8 ounces (1 cup) vanilla almond milk (this is pretty powerful blend. You can add another cup if you want a softer latte).
- Combine the reishi, mucuna pruriens, astragalus, coconut oil, beetroot, ginger, cayenne and raw turmeric honey in a powerful blender. You can also juice the beetroot and ginger beforehand. Blend well.
- Heat the almond milk in a small saucepan over medium heat until just simmering.
- Add the warm almond milk to the blender.
- Blend on high for 30 seconds, or until frothy.